Today there is an app for pretty much everything. Whether you’re looking for a playlist with the hottest songs out there, tips on fitness or even the best food apps, there is something for everyone. Check out these food apps that can help you on a daily basis or in the kitchen!
1. Substitutions: We all know how much of a pain it is to think you have an ingredient but you don’t. You really need it, but no one wants to go back to the store after just being there. That is what Substitutions is for. Substitutions is an application that gives you different ingredient suggestions to swap out for the ingredient you are missing.
2. Fooducate: I know I am not the only one who goes to the grocery store, and sometimes has difficulty reading the nutrition information on the food label, whether it is in a different language or just seems like it! Fooducate can help you. Their database has over 200,000 products you can search for using the camera on your phone. With Fooducate, you scan the barcode on the item and it tells you all the ingredients and key information like calories, fiber, fat, sodium etc. Not only does Fooducate give you that information, but if you are in the store and you want to find the healthiest brand, this app will help you. So for example, want the best balsamic dressing choice? With Fooducate, you don’t have to look through every dressing that is on the shelf.
3. Allergy Guard: Have a food Allergy? This app can be your lifesaver. One of the greatest features? You don’t even have to be connected to the internet or have 3-4G. This app allows you to look at the ingredients in more than 2,000 of the most common foods. This app is very helpful when you are eating out, in the grocery store or even at home.
4. Whole Foods Recipes: Who doesn’t love finding inspiration from someone else’s recipes? This app allows you to find new ways to enjoy your meals; salads, side dishes, soups, quinoa, vegan, and gluten free food. This app has everything! It includes some great features like making your own shopping list or meal planner, and “On Hand” which is my favorite feature; it gives you food suggestions based on the ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
5. Hooked: When you don’t want to eat on campus download Hooked. It really does hook you up 😉 This app finds all the local restaurants on campus and around town. Hooked offers you the best deals on an array of different restaurants including the best Chinese and pizza places all the way to a Dunkin Donuts. Once you find the coupon you want (which you have to use in person), just show them the coupon on your phone right at the register. Who doesn’t love free stuff??
6. Food Tripping: When driving, you always see fast food and the closest places on billboards but never anything better. Finding healthy alternatives can sometimes be difficult; this app locates and helps find quality alternatives to fast food. They offer different options such as juice joints, coffee houses, healthy food markets, farmers markets, vegan options and so much more. They even allow you to suggest your own favorite spots around the area! On road trips don’t feel lost when you don’t know what’s around! Download Food Tripping.
When people say there is an app for everything they aren’t lying. It’s just the good ones that are hard to find. These 6 apps are your food lifeline! Don’t ever feel like you can’t find something to cook, somewhere to eat, alternative ingredients or even coupons because these apps have everything!
Want to read more of Zara’s great app ideas? Check out: