How many of us watched this and cried?
When I saw Tristan, I knew I had to bring her to She’s Fit to Lead. I was so inspired obviously by her talent but also by her maturity (What were you like in 10th grade? ), her honesty, her style, her sense of spirit, and her love of her family. Seeing her responses to the questions we asked her, I am even more inspired if that is even possible:
1)Your mom wrote that American Idol has been your dream since you were 10 years old. A girl’s got to dream, but we know you did lots of hard work to make your dream come true! Tell us about how you made your dream a reality. Persistence and an open mind. Some people crumble under criticism, but I always take it as incentive to get better. I welcome constructive criticism. I will make a note of what they said in my mind, and work on it until I improve.
2) Is it ever challenging to be taken seriously because of your young age? If so, what do you do to change the dynamic? For me, it’s not any harder being 15 than another age because I believe that maturity isn’t necessarily something that comes with age, but with self-actualization.
3) Has pursuing your passion changed your relationship with your friends? What do you do to still feel connected and to make them feel a part of all the exciting things that are happening to you? Pursuing my career hasn’t changed my relationship with my friends whatsoever. I’ve pursued music ever since I’ve had the friends I have now, and they completely understand when I have to decline the offer to go to the movies because I have a show planned that night. I always keep in contact with them, and they never cease to make me laugh, which is all in all a great relationship.
4) There are times you have to be “on” no matter what or how you are feeling. If you are having an off day, what do you do to get yourself back on track? I love reading, so reading usually makes me happy enough to get through the day. If that fails, I’ll just listen to happy music or rock music to get me pumped up for the day.
5) How do you stay positive when things don’t go the way you had always imagined they would (for example when you thought your mom wasn’t going to be at your audition)? When things don’t go the way I want them to, I tell myself to stay optimistic. Good things come to those who wait, so just give it a little more time.
6) What makes you feel confident? What’s your advice for feeling confident in a scary situation (like an American Idol audition)? Wearing my favorite something, or bringing something along that has always been there. Whether it’s a stuffed dragon (like me) or just a lucky bracelet, something that makes me feel comfortable makes me feel confident. Also, to slow my heart rate when I’m a bit jittery, I’ll breathe in for 4sec, hold for 7sec, and let our for 7sec. I’ll do that until I feel steadier. Also surrounding yourself with people who can make you laugh is a great source of confidence. Lastly, having a plan in your head of what you’re going to do before you do it is a great way to have confidence, so that you know you’re not walking blindly into something.
7) What is your advice for our followers who dream of seeing where their talent (whether artistic or otherwise) can take them, but also feel afraid of failing? Failing is the only way you can get better. You have to mess up before you can get better. Do you think anyone has ever picked up an instrument for the first time and been able to play it perfectly? No. They probably had to practice, and keep practicing until they got better, hitting plenty of wrong notes along the way. So don’t be afraid of failure, because even the greatest musicians and athletes and artists, had to have messed up in the beginning.
8)Where do you get your inspiration from? Are there particular musical artists that inspire you? I get a lot of my inspiration from my mom, who is constantly driving me to get better, but it takes a level of self-discipline to follow through with constant practice so that I can better myself. I honestly have so many influences in musical career, it’s a bit insane. I love Carrie Underwood, Garth Brooks, Martina McBride, John Mayer, Ed Sheeran, Faith Hill, Josh Turner, and so many more.
9) We love your style! Who are your fashion influencers? I really don’t know who influences my style, so I guess myself, my mom, and just other strangers I see walking around.
10) What does She’s Fit to Lead mean to you? How does someone show they are Fit to Lead? She’s Fit to Lead is an amazing website who’s goal is to empower women and teach them about self confidence, and how to be comfortable and have pride in their own bodies. Someone shows that they are fit to lead when they help other women realize their own beauty and worth while radiating a strong sense of their own self-confidence.
Tristan, we know one young woman who is Fit to Lead, and that is you! Thank you so much, and best of luck from She’s Fit to Lead. You know we’ll be rooting for you!!
Photos courtesy of Fox Broadcasting Company.
Meet More Monday Motivators: