It’s that time of the year again folks- cold and flu season. The worst possible time of the year. The time when holidays are coming up, you’re nearing the end of the semester, and trying to avoid getting sick, which is nearly impossible these days. So here are some tips to help you get better and healthy while you’re sick! (Please note, this is our author’s best advice based on her experience. By all means, if you think you need to, consult a doctor, and don’t substitute our advice for your doctor’s!!)
1. Rest– I can’t stress this one enough. I’m the type of person who has to be up and moving a lot so when I was sick and I was trying to do everything all the time, it just made me feel even worse. Going to the gym is not recommended, even if you think it will help.
2. Medicine– I was on this cold and flu medicine (they were pill form) and they didn’t make a difference at all. I went and got the nastiest liquid cold and flu medicine which made me want to gag, but it worked wonders. I felt better almost immediately. So go for the liquid kind (even though it is really gross). You won’t regret it.
3. Sleep, sleep, sleep– Resting and sleeping are 2 different things. Resting during the day when you’re sick is super important, but sleeping enough at night is even more important. Nothing will make you feel better than a good, long nights sleep when you’re sick. Plus you’ll feel even better the next day.
4. Chicken noodle soup– I mean really who doesn’t like chicken noodle soup (vegetarians can stick with vegetable soup) The broth will give you some great nutrients. It will help warm you up and clear up your sinuses, not to mention it tastes yummy- score!
5. Hot tea– Hot tea will help so much when you’re sick. It helps with sore throats for sure. Whenever I have a really bad sore throat I get this special tea called organic throat coat. It’s so delicious and my throat instantly feels better.
I hope these tips help make you feel better while you’re sick! Remember to stock up on nourishing foods, cough drops, and use good personal hygiene!