When the alarm goes off at 6 a.m. every day, two things come to mind: 1. Where the hell is my coffee? and 2. I hope today is better than yesterday. I’m sure most people can relate to the first statement—give and take a few select words—but many people follow up that statement with more negative ambitions. They say things like, “Why do I have to get up,” “Why am I doing this,” “Eff my life,” and “This sucks.” Truthfully, it’s hard not to say those things when you’re up before the sun, but words are impactful, and starting the day with negativity, no matter how slight, sets the tone for the rest of your day.
Instead of waking up complaining and wanting nothing more than to go back to bed, relish in the opportunity to grow. Waking up to a busy schedule isn’t punishment, it’s a reward for good work ethic and for people trusting you to accomplish tasks. The reason you have to wake up at 6 a.m. and have three meetings with your cup of joe between 8 a.m. is because people respect you. Use that as motivation, not a disincentive.
To help you get started on this pathway to positivity, here are a few daily affirmations that will keep your heart and mind healthy and motivated.
- I am in charge of how I feel and today I choose happiness.
- I possess the ability to lead and to inspire.
- I welcome change and will embrace the challenges that come my way, for I know they are what help me grow.
- Today is a new day. My past does not define me. My future is mine to create.
- I choose to be unstoppable. I am bigger than my concerns and worries. The strength of others inspires me daily. I focus on my goal. I trust my intuition and live a courageous life.
As soon as you wake up, grab your coffee, head to the mirror, and read these out loud. Don’t worry — nobody will hear you talking to yourself. It’s too early.