It’s Sunday night. You’re home relaxing. You don’t feel like leaving the house, and anyway, your favorite smoothie store is closed, and you’re out of cash! What’s a girl to do? No worries. Here’s SFTL’s easy 7 Step Guide to The Perfect Smoothie.
1. Pick Your Fruit – It’s up to you. The sky is really the limit. Bananas are great for a thick shake. We love berries for their many health benefits. (About 1 cup)
2. Pick Your Liquid – Milk, Almond Milk, Coconut Water, Fruit Juice, Water – Anything goes! (About 1 cup)
3. Get Some Protein – Particularly if you just worked out or you are replacing a meal, this part is important. Vegan protein or whey – up to you! (1 to 2 scoops)
4. Nuts and Seeds – Great for flavor and nutrition (but watch your quantities – a big scoop of nut butter can get you some pretty serious calories pretty fast). Chia is a great choice for keeping you full. (1 to 2 tablespoons).
5. Go Green – Green shakes are an acquired taste, but those greens do bring a ton of vitamins. If you do go for it, make sure you have a really good blender, or you will end up with little bits of leaf and stem in your drink (been there, done that!). (About 1-2 cups)
6. Ice – Cold, frosty! What more can we say?
7. Blend – Throw it all in and blend until its smooth!
Too icy or thick? Add liquid.
Too watery? Add some fruit or maybe some raw oats.
Some extra flavor? Try some spice (cinnamon is a great choice), flavor (like vanilla) or sweetener (stevia, agave or anything you choose).
Be Brave! Experiment!! And most of all, Have Fun!!